Surrey school student dies of bacterial infection with another in hospital | British news

A six-year-old pupil is believed to have died and another was treated in hospital after an outbreak of an invasive bacteria at a primary school in Surrey.

The BBC reported that the students at Ashford Church of England primary school were in the same group, while the second child was recovering in hospital.

The broadcaster quoted the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) as saying the children had contracted the invasive group A streptococcal infection (iGAS), also known as Strep A, which causes scarlet fever.

Students and school staff had been prescribed antibiotics.

Ruth Hutchinson, Surrey County Council’s director of public health, was quoted as saying: “We are deeply saddened by the death of a pupil at Ashford Church of England school and extend our sincere condolences to their family, friends and the whole school community. , which are in our thoughts.”

Dr. Claire Winslade, UKHSA South-East Health Protection Consultant, reportedly said: “Information has been shared with parents about the signs and symptoms of iGAS, including a high fever with severe muscle aches, pain in any part of the body and unexplained vomiting or vomiting. diarrhea.”

Those with the above symptoms should call 911 immediately.

Leave a Comment