Python bites and drags five-year-old into pool

Ben Blake holding a python

Ben Blake holds the offending python

A five-year-old Australian boy has survived being bitten, constricted and dragged into a swimming pool by a python about three times his size.

Beau Blake was swimming at home when the 10-foot-long reptile struck, his father told a local radio station.

The pair – still entangled – were taken from the pool by Beau’s grandfather and the boy was freed from the animal by his father Ben.

But Beau is resurrected and escaped with only minor injuries.

“Once we cleaned up the blood and told him he wasn’t going to die because it wasn’t a venomous snake… he was actually pretty good,” his father Ben told Melbourne radio station 3AW on Friday about the incident that happened a day earlier.

“He’s an absolute trooper,” Ben added, saying the family – who are based in the New South Wales coastal town of Byron Bay – would monitor the bite marks for signs of infection.

Despite the lucky escape, the dramatic saga was still “an ordeal,” he said.

“[Beau] just walked along the edge [of the pool]… and I believe the python was kind of sitting there waiting for a victim to come along … and Beau it was.

“I saw a big black shadow come out of the bush and before they hit the bottom it was all wrapped around his leg.”

With “no self-preservation whatsoever”, Beau’s 76-year-old grandfather Allan jumped into the pool and passed the boy and hose to Ben.

“I’m not a little boy… [so] I released him in 15-20 seconds,” said Ben.

Ben then held the python for about 10 minutes as he desperately tried to calm his children and his father before releasing the snake back into the vegetation.

“He went back to the scene of the crime, the naughty thing.”

Ben told the radio station that pythons were a fact of life in the area, about 8 hours north of Sydney, saying “look… it’s Australia”.

Leave a Comment