West Ham have finalized the signing of Burnley winger Maxwel Cornet for £17.5million.
The 25-year-old has signed a five-year contract with an option for one more year and will wear the Hammers number 14 shirt.
Cornet completed his medical on Friday before finalizing personal terms to become David Moyes’ fifth big summer signing, after Gianluca Scamacca (£35.5 million), Nayef Aguerd (£30 million), Alphonse Areola (£10.5 million ) and Flynn Downes (£12 million).
Initially it was thought that West Ham would prefer a loan, but the club were willing to comply with Cornet’s escape clause.
“It’s a new step for me to join this big club and I’m very happy to be here, to be part of the project for the club. I’m just excited to get started,” he said.
“Everyone knows that the level here in the Premier League is very high and that’s why I want to play here, so I’m very happy to be here for the next stage in my career.
“It will be great to play in front of 62,500 fans at London Stadium. I played here for Burnley last season and I can’t wait to experience it as a West Ham player.”
Cornet shone for Burnley last season despite their relegation, scoring nine goals and contributing one assist in 26 appearances.
West Ham manager David Moyes added: “We are delighted to welcome Maxwel to West Ham United. He is a versatile player with solid experience both in Premier League and European football and he will add strength and quality to our team. plow.
“He made a big impression with his performance for Burnley last season and impressed me with his desire to improve and challenge himself further here at West Ham.
“We look forward to bringing Maxwel into the group and wish him all the best in his career with us.”
Is Cornet playing against Man City?
Sky Sports News reporter Dharmesh Sheth:
“We don’t believe Cornet was registered before noon [on Friday] so he is unlikely to play for West Ham against Manchester City on super sunday.
“His first appearance is probably next weekend in Nottingham Forest.”
Watch West Ham vs Man City live on Sky Sports Premier League from 4pm on Super Sunday; kick off at 4.30pm.
Follow the summer transfer window with Sky Sports
Who will be on the move this summer when the transfer window opens on June 10th and close around 11 a.m. on Sept. 1?
Keep up to date with all the latest transfer news and rumors in our dedicated Transfer Center blog at Sky Sports’ digital platforms. You can also catch up on the ins, outs and analysis at Sky Sports News.
The new Premier League season with Sky Sports
- 128 exclusive live Premier League matches.
- First selection of matches for each weekend of the Premier League season.
- The best expert team in football including Gary Neville, Jamie Carragher, Jamie Redknapp, Graeme Souness, Micah Richards and Roy Keane.
- Kelly Cates and David Jones will cover live coverage of Friday Night Football, Saturday Night Football, Super Sunday and Monday Night Football.
- In-game goals and clips for mobile devices of live Sky Sports matches.
- Extensive highlights On Demand and our Premier League channel.
- Sky Sports is your ultimate destination for domestic football with live coverage from the Premier League, EFL, Scottish Premiership and the Women’s Super League.
- Read more about Sky Sports