Robert Lewandowski (Adria Puig/Anadolu Agency via Getty Images)
Barcelona sold 24.5 percent of its own production company to Orpheus Media for €100 million ($103 million) as it seeks to meet La Liga’s financial requirements for the seven remaining summer signings, including Robert Lewandowski.
ESPN’s Sam Marsden and Moises Llorens reported on Friday that the sale of a stake in Barça Studios, combined with a potential contract adjustment for central defender Gerard Pique, the club “hopes the situation can now be resolved” ahead of Saturday’s game against Rayo Vallecano. .
Barcelona reached a €45 million ($46.3 million) deal with Bayern Munich in mid-July to take over Lewandowski, according to David Ornstein of The Athletic.
However, the deal has not been finalized for the past month and now the club is in a race against time to ensure the superstar striker is available for the season opening.
Lewandowski scored 35 goals in 34 Bundesliga appearances last season as Bayern rolled to its 10th consecutive domestic championship.
The 33-year-old Polish international told the Polish newspaper Matches (via Julian Bovill for MailOnline) that a desire for a new challenge led to the Barça transfer.
“I knew my career at Bayern was continuous. I needed a new challenge,” he said. “The next goals and trophies in Germany were of course important, but not so rewarding. I admit I started to have a problem with it. I needed a strong impulse, and that could only be a transfer.”
So far, there is no sign that the deal could fail due to the financial difficulties.
It’s the same hurdle that Barcelona failed to overcome last summer when club legend Lionel Messi tried to re-sign before announcing that it was not possible due to La Liga’s “player registration rules”.
The Blaugrana have now triggered four different financial levers this summer in a bid to appease the Spanish top class and get the signings registered, according to Marsden and Llorens.
Raphinha, Jules Koundé, Franck Kessié and Andreas Christensen join Lewandowski as the newcomers await approval, while Sergi Roberto and Ousmane Dembele were re-signed and also must be registered to take the field on Saturday, according to the ESPN report.
It could leave Barcelona understaffed for the Camp Nou opener if there is one last hiccup in the next 24 hours.